Sunday, October 17, 2010

FALLing in Pumpkin Love

Hola, mi amigos!  I can't believe it's already fall!  I am way backed up on my blogs, but I was too inspired not to share my latest foodventure.  Two words: Las Ramblas.  Absolutely, no doubt, the best tapas I've ever had... since the last time I was there... so far.  I say that because I might have to go directly to Barcelona to find something better.  

Located in the Village on 4th St, it has to be the smallest restaurant I have ever been to.  My bedroom is bigger.  Literally.  Building code?  What's that?  3' aisle clearance?  What aisle?  (Sorry, it's an interior design thing).  Almost all the tables are bar height, and there's hooks under the table for purses and jackets because where else are you going to put it?  It's a great place for a date though, because really, that's all there's room for.  Two's company, three's a crowd in this place.  Or the more the merrier.  Just be prepared to get cozy.  

That being said, it didn't bother me one bit once I had one bite of their mouth-watering bits.  With tapas, they recommend  about two or three plates per person.  Seriously, I could have had four on my own.  No photos this time because I was too busy enjoying my dinner!  These are a few of things on the menu I've had on my two visits:

Mejillones Al Jerez (mussels in a sherry wine sauce)
fantastic with french bread

Gambas San Martin (shrimp, garlic, and white wine)
how can you go wrong with this classic?

Patatas Bravas (garlicky potatoes with aioli)
yummy!

Albondigas (meatballs with manchego cheese sauce)
I savored every bite

Brochetas de Res (beef skewers in a red wine reduction)
smoky, rare enough, and tender!

Bocadillos Crujienetes (baby grilled ham and cheese)
precious!

Empanada  de Pollo (chicken turnovers with aioli)
love, Love!  I dipped bread in the leftover aioli.

Olivos Mixtos (assorted spanish olives)
I don't know how you can make those better, but they did!

But what I really want to talk about is the special they had last night-- shrimp stuffed pumpkin.  I had thought the baby grilled cheese sandwiches were precious, but the pumpkin was just as cute-- and absofrickenlutely amazing!  First of all, it was the element of of surprise.  Pumpkin and shrimp anything sounded good to me, but when the waiter brought out the baby pumpkin on a platter last, you already know it's something special.  The next thing I noticed before it even reached the table was the scent-- the smell of Thanksgiving and Christmas wrapped up in a tiny roasted orange ball.  Cinnamon and spices, I just didn't expect when I ordered it, and then I thought, but of course!  Why wouldn't it?  And the last thing that left an impression is the taste.  Just like everything else we had ordered, one small bite delivered such a punch of flavor.. not strong, but flavorful enough to leave you wanting more.  It was sweet and savory, light and creamy, familiar, yet exotic.  As with everything fantabulous in life, it made me giggle... like a school girl.

And so ladies and gents, as I perused the local farmer's market this morning for some fresh fare, I spotted some... what do you know?  Baby pumpkins!  I was left no choice but to try and replicate last night's love bite.  And of course, I documented every step so that you too can try it at home.  Oh, btw, I also grabbed some apple cider and local award winning cheese... the Rupert:  tastes like a softer, creamier parmesan... lovely.  I think I'm going to try a baked mac and cheese with it.

Shrimp Stuffed Pumpkins
Ingredients:

1/2 stick of butter
2tbs flour
1 c hot milk
2tsp brown sugar
1/2 tsp salt
dash of cinnamon, nutmeg, ground pepper
2-3 shrimp per pumpkin, peeled completely and deveined
3 or 4 mini pumpkins with tops cut off and seeds spooned out

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees


First I started with a basic bechamel sauce:  Flour, butter, and milk.  I'm not going to go into it.  Google it.  OK, nevermind.  I'll be nice.  On a medium low heat setting, melt the butter and whisk in flour, stirring consistently for about 5 min until it's a light sandy color.  Whisk in the hot (not boiling) milk a little at a time until very smooth and then bring to a boil.  Cook for about another 10 min and whisk in the brown sugar, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and freshly ground pepper.  Taste and adjust accordingly to your liking.  Add shrimp and spoon into pumpkins.  In a baking dish, add about half an inch of water.  Place pumpkins in dish and cover.  Cook in oven for 30-35 min. and voila!










Best when shared.
Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment