Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Cupcakes

So I'm contemplating setting up a new blog, focusing on my adventures in baking, or maybe just cupcakes. I'm not sure yet. We'll see. In the mean time, here's my first post on my very own cupcakes. Enjoy!

Mexican Hot Chocolate Cupcakes





How did I come up with this idea? Well, when I was living in New York, I was waiting for a table at the ever packed Max Brenner in Union Square. This is totally not related, by the way, but only go there for dessert- chocolate and dessert. It's known mostly for that anyways. The food is horrible. It's like ordering a tuna sandwich at Dunkin Donuts: just don't do it! Anyways, while I was waiting, I decided to try their Mexican Spicy Hot Chocolate: sweet, spicy, chocolate. Sounded wonderful to me! It was served in an espresso sized cup and for nearly $6, it was quite expensive. The adventurous eater that I am, I was very excited about the non-subtle spiciness that came after the first taste of the rich hot chocolate. It was very rich, indeed, that I couldn't even finish the miniature sized drinkable dessert.

It was quite a lovely concoction, but I thought it was too rich to drink. Then I wondered, was it too rich to eat? Lightbulb! Hence, there was the beginnings of my Mexican Hot Chocolate cupcake. I remembered trying a Lindt dark chocolate chili bar a while back, and I knew I had to use that in my adaptation of Miette's Double Chocolate Cake recipe. The only chili powder I had was a concoction of other spices including onion and garlic, so that was out of the question. I had Cayenne pepper, so that would do for now. I also added a dash of cinnamon. In the end, the cupcake ended having a rich dark chocolate flavor, but it lacked the kick I was looking for. The recipe below is modified to correct that. In the end, just add as little or as much as you want to suit your tastes. However, I bet it's safe to say that if you're even thinking of making this recipe, you're not afraid of a little spice. Finally, what better way to top off a Mexican inspired cupcake than some cinnamon buttercream?

Double Chocolate Cake (by Miette, spices added by me to make it a "hot" chocolate cake)
Makes two 6 in. cakes or about 24 cupcakes

Preheat Oven to 350 degrees F
Line 2 standard muffin tins with paper liners
Make sure all ingredients are room temp, except otherwise noted

Ingredients


1 1/2 c (7 1/2 oz) All Purpose Flour

1 1/4 c (4 1/2 oz) Natural Unsweetened Cocoa Powder (not Dutch processed)

1 1/2 tsp Baking Soda

1/2 tsp Baking Powder

3/4 tsp Kosher Salt

1/4 tsp Cayenne Pepper

1/4 tsp Chili Pepper (make sure it's just the chili)

1/4 tsp Nutmeg

2 oz 70% Cacao Chocolate, coursely chopped (I used Lindt's Excellence Chili Bar)

1 c Boiling Water

1 c Buttermilk

1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract

2 Large Eggs

1/2 c Vegetable Oil (I used Safflower)

2 1/4 c (16 oz) Sugar


1. Sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and dried spices in a bowl and set aside

2. Put the chopped chocolate in a heat proof bowl and pour the boiling water over it. Whisk until the chocolate is melted and let cool 15 min.

3. In a separate bowl, whisk buttermilk and vanilla and set aside.

4. In a bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, whisk the eggs on high speed until foamy, about 2 min. Reduce the speed to low and slowly pour in the oil, whisking until combined, about 30 sec. Raise the sped to medium and whisk until fully incorporated, about 30 sec. longer.

5. Reduce speed to low and slowly pour the cooled chocolate mixture into the egg mixture. Slowly pout the buttermilk mixture. Add sugar and whisk until the batter is smooth and liquid, about 2 min.

6. Stop the mixer. Remove bowl and add the flour mixture by hand with a rubber spatula until just incorporated, lifting and folding from the bottom center. Scrape down the sides and mix briefly. It might still be lumpy but stop mixing. The batter can be poured through a medium-mesh sieve into another bowl to remove any lumps. Using the rubber spatula, push as much batter through as possible.

7. Using a large rounded measuring spoon or ice cream scoop, fill each cup about 2/3 full. Bake for 20 min. I usually check for doneness with a toothpick at about 18 min. Cool in pans on rack for 20 min. Remove and cool for another 20 min. before frosting.

Cinnamon Swiss Meringue Buttercream


8 Large Egg Whites, room temperature

1 3/4 c sugar

1 1/2 tsp Cinnamon

1 tsp Vanilla Extract

6 Sticks Unsalted Butter, room temperature, cut into pieces

1. Pour egg whites and sugar in a heat proof bowl (or metal stand mixer bowl) and whisk over hot water in a saucepan (bain marie). Make sure the bottom of the bowl does not touch the water or you'll end up with scrambled egg whites.  Heat until sugar has dissolved and you can't feel the the sugar between your fingers.

2. Transfer mixture to a stand mixer with whisk attachment and whisk on high until soft peak forms. Stop mixer and switch to the flat beater.

3. Add vanilla extract and cinnamon and mix on low until incorporated.

4. While still on low, add butter a little at a time until fully incorporated before adding more. Once all the butter is added, mix on high until smooth and thick enough to pipe.



Samson was kind enough to pose for me inbetween cupcake shots.

No comments:

Post a Comment