Thursday, February 4, 2010

One Girl Cookies Doesn't Have To Mean Just One Cookie :)

A routine trip to the laundromat on a Saturday afternoon led to a spontaneous grocery shopping trip to Trader Joe's.  And the aggravating search for parking in the area ended pleasantly as we accidentally came upon a sweet little shop on 68 Dean St. in Brooklyn's Cobble Hill Neighborhood.  I glanced at a cute little old fashioned sign hanging above the door and I just couldn't resist checking it out.  This shop is home to One Girl Cookies.  The bake shop may have been started by one girl, but there's a whole lot of cookies... cute miniature cookies.  I was spellbound by the enticing aromas the moment I entered the bakery.  This was a dream for a girl with such a sweet tooth.  I didn't have any cash on me, and there was a $15 credit card minimum.  No problemo.  I pointed to the little parchment paper box and said fill her up with everything... and a lemon custard cake, please!

Now, I'll have to admit that these cookies are more of a "grown up" cookie.  If you're expecting a chips ahoy cookie, or one of those palm sized things laden with m&m's, this is not the place for you.  One Girl Cookies are miniature, a little on the fancy side, and they have names like Lucia and Sadie.  They're the dessert version of hors d'oeurves, and instead of champagne, they pair perfectly with a cup of tea.  My first bite was the pecan sandie.  The taste was standard, but it had the texture of a buttery shortbread cookie, which I love, and I found most of the others shared that same quality.  I wasn't crazy about the taste, overall.  It was good, but not amazing.  What I do appreciate, however, (and it's what I look for in everything I eat) is the quality and freshness of the ingredients.  I could taste the butter and vanilla in every bite, but it's still light.  The ginger cookies had real ginger, and I wouldn't be surprised if there were freshly grated lemon peel in the lemon bars.  Overall, I was satisfied, but I don't think it would be one of those places I'd trek to in a snow storm when the craving for something sweet calls (I have done that before).

The cake, on the other hand, is a different story.  I LOVED the cake.  In a cake, the deal breaker for me is its moistness.  Moistness rating: 10.  Its texture is a bit more dense than your average cake, something like what I call "wedding cake," just cause that's the kind of quality you'd find in a wedding cake.  There's this lemon curd stuff oozing in between the layers, making the cake even more moist, and again, freshly grated lemon peel in the icing.  Every bite was like a burst of lemonade.  Will I go back for cake?  Definitely!

1 comment:

  1. What is the best dessert since the overall taste you weren't so crazy for? How big was the cake?

    ReplyDelete