Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Plenty of Fish in the Sea...

... and salmon is one of my favorites!  It had been awhile since I updated and I have eaten at too many places since my last post.  I need to slow down!  Or not :)  More restaurant reviews later, but today is about salmon.


I defrosted some wild salmon last night but didn't have time to cook so I went ahead and made some for lunch today since I didn't want it to go bad.  I love it marinated in a garlic oyster sauce base with a little bit of salt, pepper, and sugar and I add some variations now and then like some freshly grated ginger or finely chopped chilies.  Today I went for a maple and brown sugar glaze.  Heat up a wok or frying pan, add a little bit of olive oil, and sear the salmon skin side down first.  Great thing about salmon is that you don't have to cook it very long.  I turn the heat up high just so that the skin is crispy and then I flip it over and let it cook for just a few minutes.  Be careful!  It's too easy to overcook salmon.  The it gets hard and rubbery instead of tender and juicy.  After transferring the fish to a plate, leave the pan on the burner.  I grabbed some frozen fine french green beans from Trader Joe's, ran it under some hot water, drained it, and threw it into the pan with just a smidgen of butter to deglaze the pan of all the flavors still in it.  Heat it up, and viola, you've got a gourmet dinner in minutes.





2 comments:

  1. yay, about time you put up a new post. Picture perfect dish. Yummy salmon and string beans. Did you know if you wanted your string beans crunchy to soak it in ice water for about 45 minutes before you cook it? haha, I'm sure you knew that. I'm talking to like Chef Sopheana Duch. :) btw, where is the post about the japanese restaurant we went to? What is your critique on that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I've done that before, but the beans were already frozen, so no need this time :)... frozen veggies from Trader Joe's are pretty good!

    ReplyDelete